Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Hostel Life –1-

Did my graduation staying in the college hostel (in Kerala). My first foray outside home. Was very apprehensive in the beginning. Was not sure of how id manage without having my parents at my beck and call. Had also heard abt ragging . a caravan of relatives left me at the hostel parlour. There were suppressed sobs and invisible tears in the air. I smiled bravely, assured my folks that id manage and finally, their vehicle zoomed away. All of a sudden, I felt like I was marooned all alone in an island, but I was determined to put up a brave front. The Hostel companion showed me to my room, it was one of the best in the building. I arranged my things, the lump in my throat was getting heavier by the minute, deliberated whether to go the rest room to have a good cry, and decided against it.

Meanwhile, a room mate arrived, we introduced ourselves to each other, and both of us decided to go to the mess hall for tea. I was carrying one of my bags with me, afraid to leave it in my room! As we made our way to the hall, we had to pass this corner, where there was this bunch of seniors seated glaring at us like predators. My room mate and me passed them self consciously, but carefully ignoring them. I cud hear laughter, and some comments abt my carrying around the bag which perhaps contained a treasure. One plus point was, the lump in my throat was negligible by now, I was plagued by nervousness.

I was seated on my cot , watchg the happenings in the room opposite mine, and I cud see a tall, thin bespectacled girl running around energetically arranging her things. She had come with a group of students, all from the same place, I assumed. They seemed quite at home, perhaps becos they were friends. Suddenly the girl I noticed earlier, came into my room, and with a cheerful smile addressed me,-hallo, U remind me of a very dear friend. Her name was Aparajita, so I thought I must speak to u.- I warmed upto her immediately, we introduced ourselves to each other, and I was beginning to like it here.( Her name was Geeta, and Im still in touch with her).That nite, the seniors came visiting, asked each of us freshers , our details, like where we came from, etc. I noticed them grinning maliciously when 2 of us said that we had done our under graduation in a school in the Emirates. We learnt later that this qualification made us eligible for detailed grilling! It was automatically assumed that since we came from outside India, we were sure to have a couple of horns , albeit hidden temporarily.

Later, I unpacked my things, arranged my bed, hoisted my mosquito net all with meticulous efforts and finally retired for the nite, clutching tight a little photo of my Ishta Deivam to my heart. Finally, I let the tears flow silently onto my pillow.

( Geeta came to visit me with her family last week and we had a great reunion! We were meeting after abt 14 years!!)

No comments: